The Senate met today, August 30, 2019, at 10:05 A.M. in the Chamber of the National Assembly Building, Belmopan for a Special Sitting. At today’s Special Sitting, there was the swearing in of a temporary Senator and two new Senators for the Opposition. The Temporary Senator replacing Dr. Senator Carla Barnett was Senator Herbert Panton. From the Opposition Senators, Senator Valerie Woods was replaced by Senator Isabel Bennett and Senator Paul Thompson was replaced by Dr. Senator Louis Zabaneh.
The below are the proceedings that were on the Orders of the Day:
1. Belize City Council (Municipal Paper) Bill, 2019.
2. National Liquefied Petroleum Gas Project Bill, 2019.
3. Land Tax (Partial Remission of Arrears) Bill, 2019.
PAPERS ORDERED TO LIE ON THE TABLE
62/1/13 – Social Security Board – Actuarial Performance Report for Year Ended 2018; Financial Statements Report for Years Ended 2018 and 2017.
63/1/13 – Central Bank of Belize – 2018 Annual Report and Statement of Accounts.
64/1/13 – Development Finance Corporation (DFC) – Annual Report for Year 2018.
1. Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Agreement between the Government of Belize and the Government of the Republic of Estonia on Visa Requirement Exemption for Holders of Diplomatic Passports Motion, 2019.
2. Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Revised Agreement Establishing the Caribbean Examinations Council Motion, 2019.
3. Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Protocol on Public Procurement for the Caribbean Community Motion, 2019.
4. Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Protocol Amending the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas to Incorporate the Council for National Security and Law Enforcement as an Organ of the Community and the CARICOM Implementation Agency for Crime and Security as an Institution of the Community Motion, 2019.
5. Inter-American Development Bank – Strengthening Tax Administration Project (US$14,000,000) Loan Motion, 2019.
6. Inter-American Development Bank – Contingent Loan for Natural Disaster Emergencies (US$10,000,000) Loan Motion, 2019.
7. Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) – Upgrading of the Corozal-Sarteneja Road and the Construction of the Pueblo Nuevo and Laguna Seca Bridges (US$50,000,000) Loan Motion, 2019.
The Meeting was adjourned at 5:00 P.M.