Today, May 19, 2017, the Senate convened in the Chamber of the National Assembly Building , Belmopan for a Special Sitting. The agenda for today was quite short, it merely consisted of five Motions that were adopted. Those motions are:
- Caribbean Development Bank – Eighth Consolidated Line of Credit to the Development Finance Corporation – Loan and Guarantee Motion, 2017.
- Caribbean Development Bank – Belize Social Investment Fund III – Loan Motion, 2017;
- Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Agreement Establishing the European Union (EU) and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) International Foundation Motion, 2017;
- Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Agreement between the Government of the United Arab Emirates and the Government of Belize for the Promotion and Reciprocal Protection of Investments Motion, 2017; and
- Resolution Authorizing the Ratification by Belize of the Agreement between the Government of the United Arab Emirates and the Government of Belize for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income and Capital Motion, 2017.
The Meeting was called to order at 10:00 A.M. At today’s meeting, all 6 government Senators were present along with the 4 social partners and 3 Opposition Senators. Senator Valerie Woods was absent today, however, she was replaced by Temporary Senator, Michel Chebat. Nevertheless, after Senator Chebat tried to raise a Privilege Motion and it was denied by the President, the 3 Opposition Senators walked out of the meeting before the Motions on the agenda were debated.
The Special Sitting was adjourned at 12:13 P.M.